The Harvard South Asia Institute, the Harvard Law School Animal Law & Policy Program, and the Harvard Law School Islamic Legal Studies Program: Law and Social Change are pleased to announce an upcoming workshop on Animal Agriculture from the Middle East to Asia. The workshop will bring together experts to exchange ideas as an initial step toward the goal of a broader collaborative research project.
- Charlotte Blattner (Law Faculty, University of Basel), Tackling Concentrated Animal Agriculture in the Middle East through Standards of Investment, Export Credits, and Trade
- Alisha Gao (Goethe University), Modernity in China’s Changing Models of Meat Production
- Max Elder (Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics), Taking Stock of Fish Farming in Asia
- Moe Honjo (Hitotsubashi University School of Law), Farm Animal in Japanese Legal System – Focusing on Welfare of Laying Hens
- Huggehalli Jayasimha (Humane Society International)
- Tarun Khanna (Harvard University South Asia Institute and Harvard Business School)
- Laurent Lambert (Social & Economic Survey Research Institute, Qatar), Rise and Fall of the Silo? Paradigmatic Shifts in Gulf Arab States’ Animal Agriculture
- Peter Li (University of Houston-Downtown), Animal Agriculture in China: Regime Stability and the Regulatory Challenge
- Tatsuya Mitsuda (Keio University), Bovine Imperialism: Japanese Livestock, the Threat of Animal Diseases, and the Supply of “Safe” Meat and Cattle in East Asia, c. 1890–1940
- Clive Phillips (Centre for Animal Welfare and Ethics, School of Veterinary Science, University of Queensland), The Changing Pattern of Animal Production and Consumption in Asia and the Middle East
- Erum Sattar (Harvard Law School), Dairy Farming in Pakistan: Transforming Small Farms for Market Efficiency; and Then What?
- Krithika Srinivasan (University of Edinburgh), Meat Cultures in Contemporary India
- Kristen Stilt (Harvard Law School Animal Law & Policy Program, and Islamic Legal Studies Program: Law and Social Change)
May 11–12, 2017
Lewis 214, Harvard Law School campus
1557 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02138