“In formulating and implementing the Union’s agriculture, fisheries, transport, internal market, research and technological development and space policies, the Union and the Member States shall, since animals are sentient beings, pay full regard to the welfare requirements of animals, while respecting the legislative or administrative provisions and customs of the Member States relating in particular to religious rites, cultural traditions and regional heritage.”
Art. 13 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union
• Case C-424/13 Zuchtvieh-Export (23 April 2015)
• Case C-355/11 Brouwer (14 June 2012)
• Case C-219/07 National Raad van Dierenkwekers en Liefhebbers VZW and Andibel VZW v Belgische Staat (19 June 2008)
• Case C–189/01 Jippes and Others on the Validity of Art. 13 of Council Directive 85/511/EEC of 18 November 1985 (12 July 2001)
• Case C–5/94 The Queen v Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, ex parte Hedley Lomas (Ireland) Ltd (23 May 1996)
• Barnard, C, The Substantive Law of the EU: The Four Freedoms (4th edn OUP 2013).
• Blattner, CE, ‘Global Animal Law: Hope Beyond Illusion: The Potential and Potential Limits of International Law in Regulating Animal Matters’ (2015) 3 Mid-Atlantic Journal on Law And Public Policy 10.
• Camm, T, and Bowles, D, ‘Animal Welfare and the Treaty of Rome—A Legal Analysis of the Protocol on Animal Welfare and Welfare Standards in the European Union’ (2000) 12.2 JEL 197.
• Chalmers, D, Davies, G, and Monti, G, European Union Law: Text and Materials (3rd edn CUP 2014).
• Fairhurst, J, Law of the European Union (10th edn Pearson 2014).
• Ludwig, R, and O’Gorman, R, ‘A Cock and Bull Story?—Problems with the Protection of Animal Welfare in EU Law and Some Proposed Solutions’ (2008) 20.3 JEL 363.
• O’Gorman, R, ‘Of Eggs and Seals and Leghold Traps: Internal and External Public Morality as a Factor in European Union Animal Welfare Legislation’ in McMahon, JA, and Cardwell, MN, (eds), Research Handbook on EU Agriculture Law (Edward Elgar 2015) 323.
• Ryland, D, ‘Advancing Animal Welfare: State, Society and Economy’ in Modrzewski, AF, (ed.), Democratic and Social State under the Rule of Law: Society, Politics, Economy (Krakow University and the Jagiellonian University 2014).
• Ryland, D, ‘Animal Welfare in the Reformed Common Agricultural Policy: Wherefore Art Thou?’ (2015) 17.1 Environmental Law Review 22.
• Ryland, D, and Nurse, A, ‘Mainstreaming after Lisbon: Advancing Animal Welfare in the EU Internal Market’ (2013) 22.3 European Energy and Environmental Law Review 101.
• Van Laer, T, ‘The European Court of Justice and the Justification of Trade Restrictions for the Benefit of Animal Welfare: A Change of Mind?’ (2011) 1 Environmental Law Network International Review 36.
• Vesilind, PA, ‘Continental Drift: Agricultural Trade and the Widening Gap Between European Union and United States Animal Welfare Laws’ (2011) 12 Vermont Journal Environmenatal Law 223.
• Wartenberg, M, ‘Art. 13 Lisbon Treaty/TFEU—Historical, Constitutional And Legal Aspects’ in Favre, D and Giménez-Candela, T, (eds), Animales y Derecho / Animals and the Law (Tirant 2015) 353.